[Grml] problem gone -- can't get onto network

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 17:52:09 CEST 2006

Problem mystically disappeared when I boot again this time.
But still some questions remains.

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:57:52 -0600, s. keeling wrote:

>>   % /etc/init.d/networking restart
>>   Reconfiguring network interfaces...ifup: interface lo already
>>   configured done.
>>
>> Why the message only says interface lo, but not eth0?

Can anyone explain this?

>>   % ifconfig eth0 down
>>
>>   $ ifconfig -a
>>   eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:2F:BE:4B:BA
>> 	    inet addr:192.168.2.13  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>> [snip]
>> Ie, I tried to shut down the eth0, but, should it be gone from "ifconfig
>> -a" output?
>
> Yes.

What do you mean by yes? should it be gone from "ifconfig -a" output?
If so, why it is still there?

Ok, below are answers to your questions, s. keeling:

>> I tried to regain dhcp leases but that didn't help.
>
> "... didn't help" means what?  What did dhcp do, what was the result
> (messages), etc?

normal. I check the dhcp leases, looks normal too.

>> By then, I ran out of ideas so I rebooted. However, same things
>> happened, and I still can't get onto the Internet.
>>
>> Note that the Internet is working fine. The other machine that's using
>> the same router worked fine. Also, AOK when I boot back to Debian.
>
> Good to know; I'd have suggested frobbing (power cycling) the router next.
>  Not necessary.
>
>> Please help. It's urgent.
>
> You have two computers, one of which works fine.  How can this be
> "urgent"?

"The other machine" does not necessarily mean a computer, s. keeling. :-)