[Grml] Badly need help -- can't get onto network

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Sun Aug 13 18:57:52 CEST 2006

Incoming from T:

> I'm using grml 0.7 for quite a while. But this morning I woke up to find
> that I can't access my Internet anymore. Everything was fine last night
> and I didn't touch anything...
>
> Here are the symptoms:
>
>   % /etc/init.d/networking restart
>   Reconfiguring network interfaces...ifup: interface lo already configured
>   done.
>
> Why the message only says interface lo, but not eth0?
>
>   $ route
>   Kernel IP routing table
>   Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
>   192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
>   default         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
>
>   $ ping grml.org
>   ping: unknown host grml.org

Always ping the IP address when you get "unknown host."  The above
only tells you DNS isn't working.  "ping -c 1 81.223.126.153" goes
around DNS.

So, what's in your /etc/resolv.conf?

> Note that the "default" line from route took a long time to show up, so
> is the "unknown host" line from ping.

DNS problem.

>   % ifconfig eth0 down
>
>   $ ifconfig -a
>   eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:2F:BE:4B:BA
> 	    inet addr:192.168.2.13  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> [snip]
> Ie, I tried to shut down the eth0, but, should it be gone from "ifconfig -a"
> output?

Yes.

> I tried to regain dhcp leases but that didn't help.

"... didn't help" means what?  What did dhcp do, what was the result
(messages), etc?

> By then, I ran out of ideas so I rebooted. However, same things happened,
> and I still can't get onto the Internet.
>
> Note that the Internet is working fine. The other machine that's using the
> same router worked fine. Also, AOK when I boot back to Debian.

Good to know; I'd have suggested frobbing (power cycling) the router
next.  Not necessary.

> Please help. It's urgent.

You have two computers, one of which works fine.  How can this be
"urgent"?

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -