[Grml] grml 0.5 and WPA

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Dec 18 00:28:27 CET 2005

* Oliver Vecernik <ml at vecernik.at> [20051217 23:32]:
> Michael Prokop schrieb:
> > Hm, seems like the orinoco interface does not include the strings
> > 802.11, READY or ESSID, right? What does 'ifconfig eth1' (if eth1
> > matches your orinoco card) look like?

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:2D:86:9B:66
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x100

Upps, I meant iwconfig of course, sorry.

> > Make sure that /etc/default/wpasupplicant contains the right
> > settings like:

> > OPTIONS="-Dwext -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"

> > Then check the setup in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. (Re)start
> > wpasupplicant running 'Restart wpasupplicant' and run 'dhclient
> > ath0' afterwards. And of course: Take a look at the syslog (run
> > 'tlog' to watch it).

> Restarting wpa_supplicant: Initializing interface 'ath0' conf
> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext'
> Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
> Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'

Ok.

> ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
> Priority group 0
>    id=0 ssid='vds'
> Initializing interface (2) 'ath0'
[...]
> Driver does not support WPA.
[...]

Ouch.

> Unfortunately wpa_supplicant says that operation is not supported. I
> attached my syslog for further investigations. I also set in
> /etc/modutils/options:

> options ath_pci countrycode=040

> but this didn't help either. Have you got another idea?

Are you sure that you provide the right key/passphrase?
Take a look at 'wpa_passphrase ssid1 key_foobar'.
And some more configuration examples can be found in
/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz
Also give it a try with your orinoco card.

> BTW: I saved my configuration to an USB stick with save-config and this
> work quite well, but it's annoying to type `grml
> video=vesafb:ypan,1400x1050-32 at 60 lang=at myconfig=/dev/sda' all time. I
> read about bootparams directory, but I don't want to change my iso. Is
> it also possible to save the boot options to the stick for an automated
> start?

As video=... is an option for the kernel and isn't related to any
userland tools we could manage inside (a running) grml system you
would have to modify the isolinux.cfg file in boot/isolinux/, sorry.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
grml-solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/