[Grml] Missing Intel Graphics Drivers

R9mwaeq r9mwaeq at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:55:36 CET 2019

mika writes:

> Thanks for reporting this. The xserver-xorg-video-intel package
> should be relevant only for quite old hardware though, quoting from
> its package description:
>
> | The use of this driver is discouraged if your hw is new enough (ca.
> | 2007 and newer). You can try uninstalling this driver and let the
> | server use it's builtin modesetting driver instead.
>
> What hardware do you use where you depend on this package?
> What's the error message you get when starting X without having
> xserver-xorg-video-intel present?

Yes circa 2007, I have two Hewit-Packard HP Compaq dc5100, SFF(PW187ET).

Rock solid machines that I continue to use every day, as I speak
to you now :)

The problem driver is the Intel i915, its been around for a long time,
there are probably a lot of them out there somewheres.

The error message is:

xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set
IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted) Require OpenGL version 2.1 or later. Fatal server error. AddScreen/screen/init failed for driver.

Thanks for all your efforts, Grml is so cool.