[Grml] Missing Intel Graphics Drivers

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Feb 19 15:38:52 CET 2019

Hi,

* R9mwaeq [Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 01:31:57PM +0000]:

> The Debian package 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' is missing from the full 64 bit 2018-12 GRML disto.

> If your device has an Intel graphics card and you can't boot to X then installing the missing package will fix the problem:

> $ apt-get update
> $ apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Thanks for reporting this. The xserver-xorg-video-intel package
should be relevant only for quite old hardware though, quoting from
its package description:

| The use of this driver is discouraged if your hw is new enough (ca.
| 2007 and newer). You can try uninstalling this driver and let the
| server use it's builtin modesetting driver instead.

What hardware do you use where you depend on this package?
What's the error message you get when starting X without having
xserver-xorg-video-intel present?

> The 64 bit & 32 small distros are also both missing Intel drivers, however restoring
> the package will incur an additional 240 MB of dependencies asscociatted with it.

grml-small intentionally don't ship any X.org packages, so that's
kind of expected :) (Also see https://grml.org/faq/#grmlsmall )

> Listing this as a known bug on the GRML web site would have been very helpful.
> Strangely I recently had a similar problem with another Debian Linux distro uprgrade,
> perhaps this is a Debian issue rather than a GRML bug.

We don't ship xserver-xorg-video-intel by intention, since it
*should* not be relevant. If it's relevant for certain hardware
still being present nowadays and doesn't cause any unwanted
side-effects, we could re-consider shipping it though.

> Anyways, now everything is sweet.

Excellent :)

Thanks for your feedback and regards,