[Grml] how to recognize each RAID member separately

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Oct 11 00:28:42 CEST 2017

[Joe please subscribe to the mailing list before posting to it, I
managed to see your mail in the moderation queue and let it bypass,
but you will miss answers to your mail on the mailing list and
further of your mails might just get stuck/lost in the moderation queue]

* josefh.maier at hushmail.com [Sat Oct 07, 2017 at 01:56:04PM +0200]:

> I tried to make a backup of a HP DL380 G5 (W28K) with a HP Smart Array
> P400 controller with 4 RAID-members (4 75GB SAS drives)
> The Linux Live DVD's and Acronis TrueImage i' am unsing, do show that
> 4 disks as a singe LUN :-(

> To my knowledge such "Single-LUN backups" can make problem if they
> should be restored if a harddisk is changed before...

> Therefore i would feel much more comfortable, if  from each harddirve
> could be made a separate DD-image.
> Question:
> Is there a way to have GRML seen that 4 disks as separate disks (and
> NOT as a single LUN)?
> Thank you very much for every feedback!

If you are seeing the 4 disks as just one (also see
http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/SmartArray) then not that I'd be
aware of, AFAICT you have to remove the disks from the RAID
controller and attach them without the RAID controller in between.

Though if a harddisk gets broken in your RAID setup and you depend
on a raw disk backup of all involved disks then maybe you chose the
wrong RAID approach/level and/or backup strategy? :) For sure it can
make sense to clone a single disk from the RAID setup *when* needed,
but then you remove it from the RAID (controller) anyway?