[Grml] Typo or missing feature and a basic question

Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler jimmy at grml.org
Sat Mar 15 01:14:00 CET 2014

On 03/04/2014 04:50 AM, ha wrote:
> On 03/03/14 23:19, Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler wrote:

I'm sorry for the delay, I thought I had already answered :(

>> Scripts in the scripts directory are executed after the chroot was
>> built and exited. I think you are looking for
>> /etc/debootstrap/chroot-scripts/. Scripts in this directory are
>> executed in the chroot, which is basically your new Debian
>> installation.
>
> Ok. Consider that the chroot target directory is mounted ant
> /mnt/target/, and /mnt/config/ is a directory contianig configuration
>  files, among others config file, and chroot-scrips/ directory. Now,
> let's invoke grml-debootstrap with -d flag, e.g. grml-debootstrap -d
> /mnt/config. Now, my root directory (/) is /mnt/target/ actually, so
>  /mnt/config/ is unreachable, but nevertheless
> /mnt/config/chroot-scripts are still going to be invoked, right?

Yes, everything regarding those config files is copied to /mnt/target

> However, I should not reference any file from /mnt/config in them, as
> anything there is unreachable. Therefore, (for example) to compile
> some source code I should copy relevant files from /mnt/config/ to
> /mnt/target/ in advance?

No, you don't need to (see below)

> Perhaps this could be done with pre-scripts? Did I get this right?
> It's not like /mnt/config passed with the -d flag is mounted (or
> copied) to /etc/debootstrap where the default configuration
> residues.

Yes, it is, but not the whole directory. So you could put your files to
the chroot-scripts directory or extra-packages directory and it will be
copied to /mnt/target/etc/debootstrap/.
You can also create directories like /etc/debootstrap/usr/local and they
will be copied. Please have a look at the man page, section
CUSTOMIZATION, to get more details.

> Yes, it helps. Thanks. In addition, I would ask is there a common way
> to log the output/error of the (grml-)debootstrap procedure, to see
> at which stage exactly a warning or an error occurred?

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly. You mean beside
just piping the output to a file?

greets Jimmy