[Grml] Some features may be dropped from GNU Screen in the future (including braille support)

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Wed Apr 2 22:29:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

on the GNU Screen development mailing list, there's currently a thread
which discusses how to get some drive in the GNU Screen development
again.

Amadeusz Sławiński (Cc'ed) has a git repo with some a little bit more
disruptive changes at https://github.com/amade/screen/tree/devel/src

In the following mail he describes what he changed and removed. (I've
shortened the mail. "[…]" show points where I removed parts. Full mail
at https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-devel/2014-04/msg00008.html)

One of the GNU Screen feature which are about to be dropped in the
future is Screen's braille support. (Which is not enabled in Debian's
screen package as far as I can see.)

I know that there are quite some visually handicapped Grml users, so I
send this mail to the debian-accessibility mailing list and the
general Grml mailing list. Reply-To is set to the screen-users mailing
list. (I don't read debian-accessibility, but both other lists.) I
also allowed myself to Bcc some other heavy screen users I know
personally.

So if you use Screen's braille features (whatever they are exactly) or
any other of the explicitly listed features in the mail below, and
want to continue to using them, please speak up now. Upstream is also
in need of someone testing (and maybe maintaining) that code.

One potentially to be removed screen feature which IIRC is used by
Grml by default is the nethack mode with a little bit more cryptic
screen messages than by default. Not sure how mission-critical that
one is. ;-)

----- Forwarded message from Amadeusz Sławiński <amade at asmblr.net> -----