[Grml] Cannot find code to color by file extensions on an ls

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Fri Nov 22 15:48:14 CET 2013

John wrote:
> I just opened a new bug report (http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue1286) wherein I
> ask to have some file extensions added to the list to color red on an `ls` but
> find myself clueless where exactly this "color these extensions red on an ls"
> resides.  The only thing I can find in /etc/zsh/zshrc begins on line #3116 but
> I do not understand it.  Can someone point me to where this list is defined?
>  My request should be as easy as adding the new extensions to some array I
> would think.

This has nothing to do with zsh.

Colouring output of ls is the job of ls. It's largely dependent on which
implementation of ls your system is using. If you're on Linux, chances
are that you're using GNU's ls implementation. We're just setting up an
alias and load GNU's default colouration scheme. To create your own, see:

  % man dircolors

and add the appropriate call to ~/.zshrc.local.

Regards, Frank