[Grml] RC: disable zshrc's share_history feature by default?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Mar 25 10:47:40 CET 2013

Hi,

Grml's zshrc [http://grml.org/zsh/] uses 'setopt share_history' by
default since ages.

This option is responsible for making the history of one Zsh session
available to others "kind-of-immediately". So when sending 'echo
foobar' in one terminal, then pressing e.g. <return> in another zsh
session of the same user then cursor up will show 'echo foobar' on
the command line.

While I personally like the feature and somewhat got used to it it's
also one of the most discussed settings of grml-zshrc. It has the
potential to do harm, especially if you aren't aware of that
feature.

This is why I'd like to disable this setting by default (but provide
it as commented feature so it's trivial to just enable it on
request). Of course you will be able to just customize it via e.g.
.zshrc.local, it's really just about the default behaviour.

Any objections against that switch? Happy to hear your {N,}ACKs. :)