[Grml] zsh history completion via arrow keys

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Thu Jan 24 10:11:51 CET 2013

John wrote:
>>   autoload -Uz up-line-or-beginning-search
>>   zle -N up-line-or-beginning-search
>>   autoload -Uz down-line-or-beginning-search
>>   zle -N down-line-or-beginning-search
>>   bindkey '\eOA' up-line-or-beginning-search
>>   bindkey '\e[A' up-line-or-beginning-search
>>   bindkey '\eOB' down-line-or-beginning-search
>>   bindkey '\e[B' down-line-or-beginning-search
>
> One last question for you, Frank.  In the interest of maintaining a minimal
> configuration, are all 8 lines required for this functionality?  My setup is

Well, you _could_ leave out the two lines that contain bindings for
'\eOA' and '\eOB'. But those make things work in more terminals. So you
should probably keep them anyway.

> the out-of-the-box grml configuration:
> *Unmodified /etc/zsh/zshrc

That one you need. And you shouldn't modify it indeed.

> *Unmodified /etc/skel/.zshrc (in my $HOME)

This one, you could leave out, because it's just a set of examples, that
are all commented out...

> *8 line $HOME/.zshrc.local

...and since you should do all modifications via this file, you should
also put those examples from the skel file into .zshrc.local.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925