[Grml] zsh history completion via arrow keys

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Sat Jan 19 22:00:42 CET 2013

John wrote:
> Just discovered grmlzshrc and am loving it.  One thing I cannot seem to figure
> out though is how to enable zsh history completion on up arrow that reads what
> I have typed and only completes matches?  For example, I type:
>
> % vim ~/bin               <<UPARROW>>
>
> The expected behavior is to autocomplete entries that begin with 'vim ~/bin'
> but that isn't what happens.  When I hit UPARROW the auto complete lists shows
> anything that started with 'vim ' which ignores the ~/bin bit.

We actually do have

  bindkey '\e[A'  up-line-or-search

in there. However, we might need to do this too:

  bindkey '\eOA'  up-line-or-search

...keyboard handling is something that we want to improve for a long
time. But it's not trivial to get right and especially to convert our
existing bindings, without breaking backwards compatibility (too much).

Report if the additional binding enables that feature for you.

Regards, Frank