[Grml] Trying to get modules to load & services to start at boot

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Tue Jan 17 19:30:49 CET 2012

Hi,

I have grml installed on my ThinkPad (grml2hd 05/16/2011), and am
having trouble getting modules to load & services to start at boot.
I did:

  # echo tp_smapi >> /etc/modules

But after booting, tp_smapi is not present and I end up having to
manually load it. There's a post from 2005 [1] that says the solution
is to activate /etc/init.d/module-init-tools in /etc/runlevel.conf. Is
this still required? If so, as I don't see module-init-tools in that
file, I'm wondering where in the lineup should it should be and at
which runlevels it should start.

Also, I added these lines to /etc/sysfs.conf :

  devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh=82
  devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh=92
  vm.swappiness=5

But those values are not reflected after reboot:

  # cat /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/*_charge_thresh
  89
  96
  # cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
  60

So they have to be set manually:

  # echo 82 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
  # echo 92 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh
  # sysctl vm.swappiness=5

To start postfix I added this line to /etc/init.d/bootlocal.first :

  /etc/init.d/postfix restart

But postfix doesn't start up at boot.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to set these things up properly.

[1] http://ml.grml.org/pipermail/grml/2005-November/008349.html

Regards,

John

--