[Grml] Booting grml from the iso file itself

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Sat Feb 18 01:06:52 CET 2012

* Arbiel Perlacremaz wrote [18.02.12 00:53]:

> I downloaded grml96_2011.12.iso and I would be glad to boot this
> file without having to burn a CD or to write it down to a USB stick.

> function iso_virtuel {
> search --file --set=root --no-floppy /${2}
> loopback iso ${1}${2}
> }
>
> menuentry 'grmliso' {
> iso_virtuel / "grml96_2011.12.iso"
> set root=(iso)
> set iso_path=(iso)
> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> }

The problem is probably that you have to export the iso path otherwise
the exported values won't be availabe in the other grub configs. This
means you have to add export iso_path to your menu entry.

There are other small issues you should also be aware of:

1) You should use loopback.cfg instead of grub.cfg as loopback.cfg is a
more standardized way e.g. ubuntu also supports loobpack.cfg
2) The released grml96 iso image has a wrong grub config (i think you
only can boot either grml64 or grml32). You should generate your own
grub config with the current grml2usb itself.

Ulrich