[Grml] How to setup Xorg keyboard layout ?

Darshaka Pathirana dpat at syn-net.org
Fri Sep 2 03:22:52 CEST 2011

Hi!

On 01.09.2011 13:53, Frédéric Boiteux wrote:

>    I'm trying to use the GRML iso image (with grml-rescueboot package)
> on computers with a special keyboard layout, a french-targeted
> dvorak-like layout called « bépo ».
>
>    I found how to setup the console layout, giving
> « keyboard=dvorak-fr-bepo » in CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS variable
> of /etc/default/grml-rescueboot, but didn't found how to setup the Xorg
> layout : it's a flavor/variant of « fr » Xorg layout (though it very
> different from classical french Azerty) ; I can setup in a shell with :
>
> setxkbmap fr bepo
>
> and following grml's FAQ, I tried « xkeyboard=bepo »,
> « xkeyboard=fr(bepo) » without luck.
>

>    Could you tell me what syntax can we use in xkeyboard definition, or
> how to setup my Bépo keyboard layout (if possible) ?

Hmm. Variants of keyboard layouts (currently) does not seem to be
implemented:

[1] http://qr.cx/J1ri

One need to add a new bootoption (e.g. xkeyvariant) and introduce a new
variable (e.g. XKEYVARIANT) in '/etc/grml/autoconfig.functions' to
write this into '/etc/sysconfig/keyboard'.

After that this variable needs to be parsed by 'grml_keyboard' in
'$HOME/.xinitrc.d' resp. '/etc/skel/.xinitrc.d'.

With these changes it should be possible to set "xkeyboard=fr
xkeyvariant=bepo".

I've attached two (untested) patches (against the files in grml
2011.05) to get an idea. Maybe it can be helpful or even useful.. ;)

HTH && HAND,
 - Darsha