[Grml] Upcoming Z-Shell Setup changes.

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Thu Nov 24 20:35:50 CET 2011

Hi,

some details about the plan to split off the zsh setup from
grml-etc-core:

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 01:34:20PM +0100, Frank Terbeck wrote:
> After the cleanup is done, we are planning to split the zsh setup out of
> `grml-etc-core' and into a package of its own,

The new package is very likely to be named "grml-zshrc".

> so that users who are only interested in the zsh-setup can quickly
> install just that on any debian-based OS.

Yeah, especially because the grml-etc-core package is quite
intrusive if installed on a non-grml system.

But the plan goes even further:

The idea is to upload grml-zshrc to Debian, too, so that in the end
all users of a debian-based OS just need to type "apt-get install
grml-zshrc" in a root shell to get grml's well-known zshrc.

I can't promise that everything will happen that way, but that's
what's my vision of that plan and I think the visions of all others
behind that plan are more or less similar.

There are though some hurdles to take, especially to find proper
migration paths for the most common current methods to download and
update grml's zshrc including but not limited to those mentioned on
https://github.com/grml/grml-etc-core#readme

(I'm soooo looking forward to be able to drop the grml-etc-core
submodule from my .zsh git repo. :-)

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)