[Grml] Accessibility: espeakup and ALSA

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Nov 6 17:18:37 CET 2011

Hello,
I seem to have a memory of a message saying that ALSA sound support in
the medium ISO is being considered for removal, although I cannot find
the message. Now as accessibility is being put in the medium ISO, the
problem is that espeakup and espeak rely on working sound support to be
of any use (as mentioned in the festival TTS documentation sound output
is desirable, although having no sound card does mean less defects will
be heard).

I just thought I would bring this point to the attention of the
developers, as there is no point in including espeakup and espeak unless
sound support is there.

Michael Whapples