[Grml] How are blind grml users handling currentweb technologies?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 3 16:10:29 CET 2011

From: "Christian Hofstaedtler" <ch at grml.org>
To: <grml at ml.grml.org>
> We don't think nobody uses this. On the other hand we clearly see
> that none of the developers has personal use for accessibility, and
> we do not receive contributions (development and QA) from this user
> group.

I agree with what M.W. said that its been working so well there has been no
reason to comment on it.  I've been on this list for years and other than to
ask some questions about re-mastering, I haven't commented at all.

But I'm guessing that the fact that the speakup code is now in the vanilla
kernel source changes things, right? You don't have to pull it from git any
more. All you have to do is check the boxes for the speakup modules when
compiling your kernel. It'll take up some space but given the importance of
these modules to some people, I'd think you'd want to do that.

Christian, are you in a position to make a policy decision on this issue? I
think you should consider including brltty, espeak, and espeakup on the disk
for reasons I talked about at length in another message.  But my opinion is
that including the speakup modules should be a sure thing. I'd be very
disappointed if you decide against that at least.