[Grml] How are blind grml users handling currentweb technologies?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 2 22:51:21 CET 2011

From: "Christian Hofstaedtler" <ch at grml.org>
To: <grml at ml.grml.org>

> Can you (or someone else interested in this) draft a list of things
> we would need to do/ship to actually have working accesibility support
<> (for you)?
> This includes everything that might be there right now. I myself
> have never seen such a setup, so please be explicit.

I'd better ask around before I give you a definative list. I think I know
what to tell you but I'll check  it out to make sure. I own a hardware
speech synthesizer so I think for me, just including the speakup kernel
modules would be enough.  And that code is now in the mainstream kernel
code. You don't have to do anything but check the boxes for it when you're
configuring a kernel.

On a debian system, to get software speech, you need the speakup modules and
you need to install two packages, espeak and espeakup. To get braille, you
need the brltty package.

> accessibility, I assume it's not really useful to actually have the
> software on the ISO at all; so not having QA here is not really an
> option.

I will do that.  All I'll need is to be notified when I need to test.  I'm
guessing that it wouldn't be a problem if it took me a few days to get to
it. I mean, sometimes I take vacation.  But most of the time, if I was
notified that I had to test a new version, I would get to it within 24
hours. And I'll be a good tester. I can use my employers resources to test
so you'll never hear from me something like I couldn't get to it because my
network connection was down. And I have a hardware speech synthesizer and a
braille display. So I could test the full range of accessibility features.

> If somebody steps up to do the work and/or the list, we might reconsider.

Well, you've already got somebody. I'm not the most knowledgable grml user
in the world. I've used only the live CD as a rescue disk. But I have plenty
of hardware that I can install grml on. I don't know if I'll need a machine
with grml installed to the disk but I can set that up tonight. And I'll
start asking around to make sure I know what to tell you to include.