[Grml] Creating Live USB with grml2usb

chris h ch at grml.org
Thu Mar 17 08:06:53 CET 2011

Roman,

On 17 March 2011 04:01, Roman Gelfand <rgelfand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The error I am getting when booting is "Boot error" displayed on a
> black screen.  The grml2usb troubleshooting documentation suggests I
> should partition and format usb drive with "mkdiskimg -4 /dev/sdb 1024
> 64 32" for USB-ZIP configuration.   I did that and still getting "Boot
> error".    At the same time when I use unetbootin utility to create a
> bootable usb drive, it works.   Are you saying, in this case, the usb
> drive appears to BIOS neither as usb-hdd not usb-zip?

You could try cloning the unetbootin USB stick configuration.
What works or doesn't heavily depends on your BIOS.

grml2usb depends on syslinux for booting. If you didn't use the latest
grml version to run grml2usb, you might want to try upgrading syslinux
(4.x should be fine).
'Boot error' means syslinux couldn't find it's second stage loader.

  -ch