[Grml] Missing mcrypt/mdecrypt

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Mon Jul 11 17:52:09 CEST 2011

* Stefan Weiss wrote [11.07.11 17:38]:
Hi,
>> Use openssl/gnupg/gnutls.
>
> I understand that you don't want to include deprecated packages.
> Unfortunately, none of the mentioned alternatives are very useful for
> simple symmetric stream encryption. I suppose I could set up an
> assymetric scheme with private and public keys, but that feels like
> overkill for a dd backup.

I beg to differ.

dd ... | gpg -c > /tmp/output works

Use gpg -d /tmp/output to decrypt the file.

or

dd ... | openssl aes-256-cbc -salt -out /tmp/output

Use openssl aes-256-cbc -d -in /tmp/output to decrypt the file.

> I'm going to try and add TrueCrypt to my Grml USB stick myself. Up until
> now, I've been a purely passive Grml user... I've never changed any of
> the defaults, apart from --bootoptions. I guess I could just store the
> .deb somewhere and install it when I need it. If there's a simple way to
> make the installation "stick", could you point me to the relevant part
> of the docs?

There are multiple options, first use the persistent bootoption, see
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=persistency

OTOH you can place debs in a specific folder/partition and they will be
installed automatically. See
http://grml.org/config/grml-autoconfig.1.html for the list of
bootoptions.

Ulrich