[Grml] Missing mcrypt/mdecrypt

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Mon Jul 11 11:03:04 CEST 2011

* Stefan Weiss wrote [11.07.11 06:13]:
> - but it seems mcrypt and mdecrypt are not included in the (full-size)
> Grml ISO. Any chance of adding those to the next release?

I am not sure but according to the package description mcrypt is
deprecated:

 Please note that this package is buggy and unmaintained by
 the upstream authors.  If you can, please look for other
 implementations (openssl, gnutls, gnupg).

Therefore i don't think it is worthwhile to ship mcrypt.

> I'm not set on using mcrypt; if there's a better way to do this, I'd be
> interested in that, too. I never store unencrypted data on portable
> devices (ever since I almost lost one), not even automated backups.

Use openssl/gnupg/gnutls.

> But more generally, mcrypt/mdecrypt might come in handy in recovery
> situations, so it might make sense to include them anyway. Same goes for
> TrueCrypt, come to think of it.

Truecrypt can not be shipped with Grml as it has a propertary license.

Ulrich
--
twitter: @mr_ud  | identica: @mru
IRCNet:  mru     | freenode: mrud