[Grml] Is nss-ldap missing from grml 2010.04 ?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Jan 3 11:23:21 CET 2011

Thomas Köhler <jean-luc at picard.franken.de> wrote:

> While generally true, I chose grml as my desktop system of
> choice. I just remaster to add a few extra packages. It has all
> it needs, quickly accepts patches ;) and just works.

It wouldn't be difficult to install it and then just add whatever is desired
from the Debian repositories.

On my own machines, I don't draw a desktop/server distinction. My primary
workstation is physically a desktop system, but it's running Postfix,
FreeSWITCH, Bind (as hidden master for my domain), sshd, etc., in addition to
running the ADSL modem card. My laptop has most of the same software
installed, too.

These are both Debian systems, but they could just as easily have been built
from GRML.

Thanks for the work on GRML 2010.12. I downloaded it today, and plan to use it
as a rescue environment in the event of problems.

I needed GRML several months ago after I accidentally removed the ppp package
from the aforementioned desktop machine, which shut down the ADSL connection
and hence my link to the Internet. The solution was to boot GRML under kvm,
then copy pppd and pppoatm.so from the guest to the host, then run it on the
host to bring the ADSL line back up, and finally re-install the ppp package
properly. Mounting the GRML ISO image directly didn't help, since the Debian
kernel couldn't mount the LZMA-compressed squashfs file system. I think that's
fixed as of 2.6.36 or 2.6.37 in the mainline kernel.