[Grml] Trying to boot grml ISO image with grml-rescueboot fails

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Feb 18 18:25:28 CET 2011

* Frédéric Boiteux <fboiteux at calistel.com> [Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 08:24:20AM +0100]:

>   I don't know GRML yet, but I've heard about it in Mikas' blog
> (http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2011/01/07/booting-iso-images-from-within-grub2/)
> and liked to try it, so I installed grml-rescueboot (0.2.0 version)
> debian package from http://deb.grml.org/ and installed it on my Debian
> Squeeze system, along with the grml64-medium_2010.12.iso image
> in /boot/grml directory. I then tried to boot it through the Grub2's
> menu entry, but it didn't work (using menu, we don't see any error
> message). I then try to launch every command of the menu entry in
> Grub2's command line, and it fails in the line :

>  loopback loop "/boot/grml/grml-medium_2010.12.iso"

> telling it doesn't find this file. I think the 'root' setting is
> missing, and as I have before Grml a grub menu entry to boot a Windows
> partition, the last root setting isn't the right one.

Ah, good catch - looks like a bug in grml-rescueboot.

> I've manually set 'root' and then I finally got a new menu, from GRML,

Can you please try adding the following code after line 36 to
/etc/grub.d/42_grml:

  $(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT}) | sed -e "s/^/        /")

so /etc/grub.d/42_grml looks like:

[...]
  cat << EOF
menuentry "${title}" {
$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/        /")
        iso_path="${rel_dirname}/$grml $CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS"
[...]

If that works for you I'd apply this fix and upload a new version of
grml-rescueboot.

> and then I tried the 'forensic mode', as I didn't want GRML using my
> swap partition (I had an hibernated system there), but the debian-live
> system didn't work. I don't have any clue here as the 'debug' variable
> wasn't set (and so /live.log was empty), but I'll retry this when I
> have some spare time).

You can add debug=vc manually to the kernel cmdline in Grml's
bootsplash or just select the debug menu entry if you want a more
verbose boot mode.

Notice that you don't need the forensic mode for this situation as
Grml won't use your swap partition unless you explictely request to
do so.

Thanks for reporting, Frédéric!