[Grml] sound appears to be muted

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 20 17:18:30 CET 2011

From: "Ulrich Dangel" <mru at grml.org>
To: <grml at ml.grml.org>
> figure sound cards available at boot time. But
> why are you using an USB headset at all? Isn't it enough if you access
> the machine remotely via ssh/ipmi/ilo/…?

Well, it is possible that the NIC could be bad. I'm just trying to test
everything. I don't have any servers that don't have serial ports so if one
of my servers was down and I couldn't even get a network connection to it,
I'd connect the hardware synth and use speakup. I also have a braille
display so even if the machine didn't have a serial port, I could use
braille. But I'm better equipped than most blind people. I shelled out $2000
of my own money for the synth and the braille display.

Off topic:I have this other pretty cool piece of equipment called a PC
Weasel. Its essentially a PCI VGA card that takes character mode output and
writes it to an on-board serial port. It looks like a VGA card to the host
but it has a serial port for output instead of a VGA port. It really comes
in handy when making bootable CDs. For instance, if I'm remastering the grml
CD and it doesn't even get to the isolinux prompt, I can use this card and a
null modem cable connected to a terminal emulator to see why.