[Grml] sound appears to be muted

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Tue Dec 20 16:48:06 CET 2011

* John G. Heim wrote [20.12.11 16:04]:
> Well, I didn't get the beep at the isolinux prompt but sound is working. I
> was able to type in the commands to load the speakup_soft module and
> espeakup and got speech. I just waited for the tone, pressed q, and then
> typed in 'modprobe speakup_soft; espeakup' Very exciting!

Cool. I am not sure but i think beep will use the pcspkr so hopefully
you should hear the beeps even without a configured soundhw.

> I would like to try it with a USB headset on a machine w/o a sound card. If
> that works, you could rescue a server without using a hardware speech
> synthesizer. I don't know where I'm going to find a machine like that
> though. We have lots of 64 bit servers w/o sound cards but they're all in
> production. I can't just boot one of them into grml for testing purposes.
> But I'd also hate to find out I can't do that when its already an emergency.

JFTR grml will only configure sound cards available at boot time. But
why are you using an USB headset at all? Isn't it enough if you access
the machine remotely via ssh/ipmi/ilo/…?

> BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by 3 sounds in grub. Is that the tone you
> get when grml is finished booting? That's 4 tones so I think you must be
> referring to something else.

Our default bootloader is syslinux/isolinux. If you have a efi
environment we use grub instead of syslinux which will play the 3 beeps
with two of them having the same frequency.
You can also choose to boot grub from the isolinux menu (if the cd stops
spinning it should be in the syslinux/isolinux menu, then press two
times down, enter, one down), or modify grml-live to use grub as a
bootloader.

Ulrich
--
twitter: @mr_ud  | identica: @mru