[Grml] Accessibility in the grml 2011.12

Philippe Delavalade philippe.delavalade at sfr.fr
Tue Dec 13 18:53:36 CET 2011

Le mardi 13 décembre à 18:31, John G. Heim a écrit :
> From: "Philippe Delavalade" <philippe.delavalade at sfr.fr>
> To: <grml at ml.grml.org>
> >So, accessibility is disabled :-( That's what I feared and the 4 tones are
> >of no interest...
>
> Well, I wouldn't go that far. When you hear the tones, press q, and
> type in the command to load the accessibility tool of your choice.
> For example, if you have a doubletalk, you'd type "modprobe
> speakup_ltlk".

Maybe, but my interest is for braille with brltty ; earlier, there was a
boot option invoking brltty ; it was not easy to deal with because it was
not easy to know when it was time to enter the option and keyboard was an
qwerty one. Nevertheless, I could customize with grml2iso and a help from
this list.

Now, I have to wait for the tones, press 'q' and invoke brltty ; but I'm
stil in qwerty :-( I can say I want french with the lang boot option but
it's not so easy to know when I have to enter the boot option.

I feel the best way should be to have a beep when it's time to enter boot
options ; then it should be possible to enter the option brltty=,,, the
blind option and the lang.

I was pleased with the previous release (2011.05) customized ; I fear
customizing the next release will be more difficult.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope so.

> It occurs to me that it is kind of inaccurate to say that the
> accessibility tools have been removed. The speakup modules are now
> part of a regular kernel. They haven't been removed. So you should
> be able to load them at the boot prompt via the normal process for
> I haven't had time to try the latest grml release yet either. But
> I'll do that ASAP and report back. If you want to try it yourself,
> here is a link to documentation on the kernel.org web site on how to
> load kernel modules:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

I'll have a look to it but for me, braille is much more important than speech.

> Assuming that works, grml is more accessible than ever.  At the very
> least, you should be able to load the speakup modules after boot.

As I know, speakup don't speak french :-(

Thanks ; I'm going to try another time.

--
Ph. Delavalade