[Grml] Installing/configuring plain-Debian system with grml-specific kernel/Speakup/other options

Keith Hinton keithint1234 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:49:34 CEST 2010

Hi,
I have read all documentation available throughout http://www.grml.org itself.
Despite all this, I am presented with a situation that I'm trying to figure out.
The GRML kernel for quite sometime now (beginning with release 2009.10
and above) has continued to provide excilent support for my wireless
card in a new laptop computer that I recently aquired.
I happily have been executing grml-network to configure the wireless
card, enable WPA-encryption, and everything else needed to launch
primary networking on the GRML CD with the Speakup Linux screen
reader, and as of right now am using present available stable release
of GRML LiveCD.
What I am trying to do is:
1. Install a Debian system (rather than GRML directly to hard-drive) however:
1. Somehow I need grml's kernel (the one compiled for 64-bit support)
the present available version to somehow be used in the Debian
environment on my hard-drive, because you folks have already taken
care of the Speakup modules, and the CPU frequency scailing and other
options.
I'm trying to figure out to do that, and the second thing I am asking
for assistance in doing is:
How to insure that WPA works out of the box with the given wireless
network I'm trying to use (or that grml-network) will be able to make
use out of the Debian system to assist me with this task.
That's specifically what I'd like to do-I just don't want to have to
spend millions of hours trying to fight the grml-specific stuff to get
what I'm trying to get working.
GRML's kernel is half the battle; the rest of this fight is in getting
grml-network to work from within the plain Debian system on top of
having GRML's 2.6.whatever kernel installed rather than the standard
kernel that Debian would use-because that kernel would then require
possible manual configuration-and I am not even sure if Speakup itself
is a Debian package-I assume the GRML team uses Speakup from Debian
Cid/Unstable.

If anyone from the GRML team could assist me in this matter or if
anyone else using GRML specifically has any specific ideas on this
process, I'd appreciate whatever assistance possible.
While plenty of GRML documentation does exist, there isn't anything
specific to what I'm trying to have done so that's why I'm asking here
for any possible suggestions.
(The hardware works perfectly fine on the GRML LiveCD system.)
I'm just trying to figure out how to make sure that when I reboot,
GRML's present kernel will run, along with
Speakup/espeak/espeakup/etc, along with grml-network etc.
I could of course install GRML itself via grml2hd, but would rather
install a plain-Debian system instead.
Thanks for helping.

Regards, --Keith