[Grml] Set resolution of grml-small in Virtualbox

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Mar 19 18:15:16 CET 2010

* Peter Falter <sowosama at gmail.com> [Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 12:28:54PM +0100]:

> i am constrained to use M$ XP in a training course, but allowed to
> have Virtualbox.

> So i took a daily snapshot with debian/sid flavour, 2.6.33 kernel,
> started succesfully, installed to HD and booted several times.
> I am not able to change the screenresolution by kernel commandline vga=792.

> I downloaded 2009.10 too, it starts with vga=791 and the size looks good.

[...]

* Peter Falter <sowosama at gmail.com> [Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 03:33:02PM +0100]:

> it doesnt depend on the kernel version.
> My second VM with grml 2009.10 kernel 2.6.31 only had the first time
> started a /dev/fb0 and a decent screenresolution.
> After grml2hd and reboot i put vga=792 by hand in the grub2
> commandline - not in a grub configuaration file! - manually by hand! -
> there is no /dev/fb0, screen is small.

> So please help me, how do i configure a working framebuffer?

IIRC you were the one on IRC who brought up this issue. JFTR, we
resolved it through:

insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe

and

set gfxpayload=1024x768 in grub configuration. It's a grub2
specific issue. grub2 >=1.98-1 introduces a new option named
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX, btw.