[Grml] hwclock in UTC vs. local time

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Apr 29 02:31:32 CEST 2010

* Darshaka Pathirana <dpat at syn-net.org> [Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 02:10:57AM +0200]:
> On 04/22/2010 05:13 PM, Darshaka Pathirana wrote:

> > Okay.. after taking a few seconds to really check what was going on
> > the solution is as simple as:

> > % hwclock -s --localtime

> > I've added a localtime module to grml-quickconfig and attached the
> > patch. Hopefully it will find it's way to the package. ;) (I did /not/
> > change the changelog.)

> Tested the new grml-release recently and it seems that the variable
> UTC has been changed to "no" which means the problem moved to systems
> where the hwclock is set to UTC. The solution there would then be:

> % hwclock -s --utc

> Therefor my patch for grml-quickconfig got absolete. Maybe it should
> take the UTC-variable into account and/or give the opportunity
> to switch the time-setting from utc to localtime and vice versa...

Thanks for bringing this up, Darsha.
We've documented this issue under http://grml.org/faq/#timezone - is
there anything missing what should be added/improved/changed?

> > Btw: @mika: why was the "Happy Hacking"-output was dropped? I liked it. ;)

Hehe. :)

We try to make the system even more flexible and customizable
and therefore we're removing static output whereever reasonable.
Maybe a "custom slogan feature" will appear in an upcoming Grml
release providing this output again. :)