[Grml] GRML's udev and Debian's udev

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Oct 27 00:19:33 CET 2009

* Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> [20091024 12:41]:

> I have been intending to ask this for sometime but never quite got round
> to it.

> On my GRML HD installation when I have been upgrading packages I keep
> getting a conflict involving udev. It seems to be that libgudev
> (probably is something to do with the gnome packages I have installed)
> depends on libudev0 >= 146 but GRML provides libudev0 0.141-1grml.04.
> This raises a few questions:

> * Would it be safe for me to upgrade to the Debian version of udev, I
> have held off as udev is quite core to the system and I don't want to
> really mess up my system.

Shouldn't cause any problems on harddisk installations.
Though having a *working* grml CD/USB-pen available is always a good
idea. ;)

> * Why does there seem to be a difference in the Debian package numbering
> and the GRML numbering (GRML seems to be providing 0.XXX where as Debian
> seems to have XXX, surely the versions don't differ as much as this
> suggests).

There's no big change, it's just that the numbering scheme changed
in Debian lately. It used to be something like 0.141-1 for Debian
and 0.141-1grml.03 for the grml package, though as soon as we rebase
to Debian's 146-6 it will become something like 146-6grml.01 as well
then.

> * Would it be possible for GRML to provide a suitable updated udev
> package to match the Debian one?

Post grml 2009.10 sure, though we are holding udev back for a number
of reasons for the current stable release.