[Grml] Speakup and non-ascii characters

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Sun May 24 11:25:34 CEST 2009

On 23.05.2009 at 23:01:54 Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> This is in response to an email by Hermann, I am not doing it as a reply
> as I get messages as a digest and lost the original message.
>
> First thing to note is that speakup as far as I know has its own
> character table which it uses for pronouncing characters when saying
> individual characters (eg. spelling, cursoring over characters, etc).
> This table can be found in /sys/modules/speakup/parameters/characters
> and so can be edited there.

Did you test this on a GRML machine? This path does not exist.
Remember that Speakup is set up in a different way on GRML: Start with
swspeak instead of adding a specific Speakup module to /etc/modules.

> Speakup by default lists characters up to
> value 255, although values beyond 127 depend on the encoding used (eg.
> latin1, utf-8, etc) for the actual definition.

GRML is based on unicode and so should Speakup. Perhaps this is the
problem?

> As far as I know espeakup
> doesn't modify this table, speechd-up can replace the tables or leave
> them alone (there is an option for speechd-up to specify this).

Speechd-up relies on the settings of Speech-dispatcher, so it works in
most cases, except the ones I discribed.

> One way to fix this is to create a script to modify the table or copy a
> new table into /sys/modules/speakup/parameters/characters and to do this
> on start up.

How could such a script look like? I'm not a scripter, and how can this
be implemented into the startup procedure?

> Does this help?

Sorry, not really at the moment.
Hermann