[Grml] Speakup and non-ascii characters

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat May 23 23:01:54 CEST 2009

Hello,
This is in response to an email by Hermann, I am not doing it as a reply
as I get messages as a digest and lost the original message.

First thing to note is that speakup as far as I know has its own
character table which it uses for pronouncing characters when saying
individual characters (eg. spelling, cursoring over characters, etc).
This table can be found in /sys/modules/speakup/parameters/characters
and so can be edited there. Speakup by default lists characters up to
value 255, although values beyond 127 depend on the encoding used (eg.
latin1, utf-8, etc) for the actual definition. As far as I know espeakup
doesn't modify this table, speechd-up can replace the tables or leave
them alone (there is an option for speechd-up to specify this).

One way to fix this is to create a script to modify the table or copy a
new table into /sys/modules/speakup/parameters/characters and to do this
on start up.

Does this help?

Michael Whapples