[Grml] GRML does not boot on all machines since version 2008-11

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Fri May 22 16:24:30 CEST 2009

On 22.05.2009 at 16:00:51 Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> wrote:

> * Hermann <meinelisten at onlinehome.de> [20090522 15:53]:
>
>> since version 2008-11 I cannot boot the live CD anymore on one of my
>> machines - my desktop computer - a PC bought at the German computer
>> store Vobis. They use noname components, but the computer contains an
>> AMD Duron processor of 1 Ghz and has 256 MB RAM.
>> All former GRML-Versions, including the 2008-11 release candidate did
>> boot well.
>> On my notebook - Acer 1600, Intel processor 2,7 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, I can
>> boot every GRML CD.
>> After taking a long time, the CD seems to hang, and because I'm blind, I
>> cannot check out what is written on the screen.
>> Is there a way to redirect the output, for example to a file on a floppy
>> drive?
>> And, most important, waht is the reason for this?
>> I use the GRML CDs to backup and restore my systems via partimage.
>> Any hints?
>
> Please give 2009.05-rc1 a try and report feedback whether if works
> for you or not.

I forgot to mention that this also does not work on my desktop machine.

> If it doesn't work please provide output of lspci of
> a grml version which works for you (or even better execute
> grml-hwinfo on a running and working grml system and mail me the
> resulting info.tar.bz2).

OK, I'll send it to you with the next mail (I guess that I cannot send
it to the list).

> Because you're blind: what are you usually using? brltty? speakup?

Mainly Brltty, and sometimes Suse-Blinux.
But I read about Espeakup, which I did miss before 2009-05-rc1, so I
retested Speakup. I used it on former GRML-Versions, but dropped it
because of that Umlaut stuff (see my mail on that).
Hermann