[Grml] question related to included Freedos in The GRML distro

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Sun May 3 12:07:25 CEST 2009

Dear Janusz

I've not been able to look too far yet but I'll
make a few comments.

1. smartdrv does appear to be a legal download
http://webinstituteforteachers.org/resources/software/BOOTDISKS-FOR-GHOSTING/tbb-koz-2002-11-13-modboot/bin/

is hosted by the University of Chicago

2. From memory freedos boots to X: when launched
from the grml disk. I'll try to reproduce your
problem of moving to a: or c: when I've got time.

3. It is some time since I've used SBM but you may
have to hide other drives to see the FAT32
partition as the first partion of the first hard
drive. In grub you would use the map command to
make it look like (hd0,0)

4. It is another learning curve but grub4dos is a
customisation of grub for Windows with certain
enhancements such as looking for bootable
partitions and loading them automatically. Again I
am not well versed in its use.

5. The legality of dos boot disks may be difficult
to say but msdos is no longer supported and I
think mscdex (? I think that was the name, MS cd
driver) waspreviously given away by microsoft themselves.

6. A brief look at Nlite has me thinking it is a
procedure allowing you to manipulate what you paid
for and I cannot imagine how it would be illegal.

7. Up to Win XP it is usually best when dual
booting to install Windows first and then Linux
because XP is too stupid to be aware of other
operating systems - hence the necessity of 3
above.

All for now
Moss