[Grml] Bug with setting passwords when installing using grml2hd and grml-debootstrap

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Jun 13 12:52:05 CEST 2009

Hello,
I noticed that yesterday when I did an install of debian using
grml-debootstrap it seemed to fail to set the password of the root
account, it seemed to just print out the help message of the chpasswd
command. This was using grml installed on a USB drive using grml2usb and
the ISO image of grml 2009.05. I also encountered the same when I did
the grml2hd installation using the RC2 CD. The only way I was able to
log in to the installed system was to boot grml again, mount the drive
where I had done the installation and remove the x from the password
field of the /etc/passwd file and then reboot back to the HD
installation and log in without a password and then set a new password
(there may be another way but this is the one I am certain of).

This seems like a critical bug to me as by default it seems grml2hd and
grml-debootstrap leave the installed system unuseable.

Michael Whapples