[Grml] I got Espeakup finally to work

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jun 2 16:11:29 CEST 2009

On 02/06/09 14:58, Hermann wrote:
> On 02.06.2009 at 15:23:44 Michael Whapples<mwhapples at aim.com>  wrote:
> [...]
>
>> On this topic it is something I never
>> really worked out, why does GRML require me to type swspeak once booting
>> finishes as surely the start up script which gives the speech messages
>> (eg. "software speech has been enabled, type swspeak once booting
>> finishes" or something like that) could run the swspeak command for me.
>>
> And the question is also, why does that second "swspeak" open a new
> shell? It should stay to the shell opened at startup.

So that's what happens, I had noticed the prompt is different between
finished booting and after running swspeak.

>> Related to this, when I do grml2hd the HD installation when it starts
>> will not come up automatically speaking, even if I used swspeak for
>> install. This has caught me and I think others out in the past, as the
>> instructions from the speech messages tell you type swspeak once booting
>> finishes but the HD installation puts you at a login screen so you need
>> to log in first.
>>

> This is new to me, but I never started the grml2hd with speech, I used
> braille and this does not happen. Perhaps because I started the script
> using some parameters, such as the target drive and the place where the
> boot manager has to be written.

May be I was unclear about what I meant there. When I install GRML to my
HD it picks up about the swspeak boot option and adds it to lilo. The
problem is that swspeak as a boot option still requires you to type
swspeak once booting finishes. Now on the Live CD you don't get
presented with a log in screen therefore you can just start typing
swspeak, but on HD it requires you to log in first and then you can run
swspeak command. Its that the speech messages are the same as those on
the Live CD and so don't quite match the HD installation. Braille and
hardware speech support aren't affected as those options don't require
anything to be entered once booting finishes for them to work (IE.
brltty is started when you give the brltty or blind option at the boot
prompt). Its this having to run a command once booting finishes which
causes the problem.

Michael Whapples