[Grml] [Fwd: Re: How to install GRML to one harddrive with Windows XP installed on this harddrive?]

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Sat Jan 3 22:08:03 CET 2009

Dear Janusz,

Yes from the LiveCD if you do hd it will boot from the hard disk.
Similarly hd1 or hd2 if you have two hard disks.

I am glad it worked out OK in the end.
I attach a file with all of the booting options. Don't know why they call
it cheat codes since it is not cheating.

If you can negotiate your way around it is possible to boot sda2 from the
cd using grub. I'll will try to work out the recipe for you to try. you
have to get to a grub commandline (so a grub boot floppy would do it) and
then do

grub>configfile (hd0,1)/boot/menu.lst

(hd0,1) is grub talk for sda2.
This will bring up the grub menu and you just press enter to boot grml.

There is a good method to make a copy of your XP partition with ntfsclone.
You need a back up medium such as a usb hard drive to save the disk image
on. It compresses all empty space. It is better than partimage but you
still need to back up the mbr separately with a dd command.

Thank you
Moss

PS
Try moving the timeout command to the top of boot.ini You should then have
30 seconds to see the choice of what to boot grml or XP. Perhaps it needs
to be longer.