[Grml] 2008.11 & Acer Aspire One A110L

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Jan 3 15:01:51 CET 2009

* Michael Weber <weber at rising-systems.de> [20090103 14:40]:

> Scenario: Acer Aspire One A110L (8GB SSD, 512 MB RAM), USB stick with
> previous version of grml runs fine, grml2hd works as expected, system
> operates normally.

> With 2008.11 I have a running installation from the USB stick and
> grml2hd performs well at first but upon the first reboot the kernel panics.

> When using grub the system gives "Error 2" immediately and does not
> boot, after booting a rescue system and chroot'ing to the
> harddisc-installed version and rewriting the MBR grub boots into the
> menu and I can select the kernel (which then panics). Lilo is somewhat
> smarter and does the MBR well, but the kernel also failes.

Error 2 == "Selected disk doesn't exist"

> I can give the Trace-HexCode if needed, the last message on the screen
> is "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!".

> I am no kernel hacker and usually start my work after the system is up
> well but I can happily be the grml-Acer-Aspire-One-Tester - just let me
> know what you'd like to test me.

> Since grub fails to write the MBR correctly I have some rough idea of
> mixed up harddisc naming hda/sda which seems to be common for kernel
> 2.6.26 and some SATA controllers ... I have already tried the workaround
> from the FAQ but it did not work.

Please provide /boot/grub/device.map as well as /etc/lilo.conf
(if that exists), /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab of the
"problematic installation".

You have a grml2usb system of grml 2008.11 on your USB stick? What
is the target device you want to use for grml2hd?