[Grml] When will the next release be out, and will the 64-bit version include speech?

Doug Smith dougsmith1 at charter.net
Sat Sep 27 02:33:08 CEST 2008

Hi, I have been waiting for the new release.  I mentioned the spelling
problem in the earlier version, and I know that that has all been fixed.
However, I have bought a new 64-bit machine since that time, and have
had to go to a graphical distribution.

It works ok, but I really miss all of my command line favorites.  I wish
to know when the next release of grml will be availalble.

I would also like to know if the new 64-bit version will work with
software speech.  I tried the current amd64 version, but got neither
speech nor sound when running the following:

at boot: grml swspeak

The system seems to boot ok, but, when it stops, I run

swspeak

I hear the disk spin, but there is no speech nor is there any sound.  It
seems to have something to do with the audio on this machine, because
the listings of all the controls in aumix indicate that most of the
volume settings such as mic, pcm, phin, phout, and more are missing.

The only thing I can really tell you about this machine, since I do not
know hardware all that well is that it is a Compaq Presario f-700 laptop
with a dual-core 64-bit amd processor.  The video, which I do not nor
cannot use is nvidia or something like that.  I do know what kind of
sound hardware is on here.

Is there anything I am doing wrong.  Please help me return from the
graphical nightmare world.

Thanks.

Doug Smith