[Grml] dpkg-dev conflicts with devscripts (< 2.10.26)

Darshaka Pathirana dpat at syn-net.org
Sun Nov 9 13:20:59 CET 2008

Hi!

Just encountered a problem while trying to upgrade some packages. I
am using a grml2hd by grml 1.0 which have been upgraded a few times
and is now set to Debian/lenny in the sources.list:

% grep -v "^\s*#\|^\s*$" /etc/apt/sources.list

  deb     http://deb.grml.org/ grml-1.1 main
  deb-src http://deb.grml.org/ grml-1.1 main
  deb     http://ftp.tu-graz.ac.at/mirror/debian        lenny        main contrib non-free
  deb-src     http://ftp.tu-graz.ac.at/mirror/debian        lenny        main contrib non-free
  deb     http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

I usualy use grml-testing but also tried grml-1.0 / grml-1.0-updates
and grml‐1.1.

So here the problem:

% apt-cache policy dpkg-dev

dpkg-dev:
  Installed: 1.14.12
  Candidate: 1.14.22
  Version table:
     1.14.22 0
        500 http://ftp.tu-graz.ac.at lenny/main Packages
 *** 1.14.12 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

% apt-cache policy devscripts

devscripts:
  Installed: 2.9.27.grml.1
  Candidate: 2.9.27.grml.1
  Version table:
     2.10.35 0
        500 http://ftp.tu-graz.ac.at lenny/main Packages
 *** 2.9.27.grml.1 0
        994 http://deb.grml.org grml-1.1/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

% aptitude show -v dpkg-dev |& grep --color=auto "Package:\|Version:\|Conflicts:\|^$"

Package: dpkg-dev
Version: 1.14.22
Conflicts: devscripts (< 2.10.26), dpkg-cross (< 2.0.0)

Package: dpkg-dev
Version: 1.14.12
Conflicts: dpkg-cross (< 2.0.0), dpkgname

So the new version of dpkg-dev conflicts with older devscripts but
grml does not provide any newer one.

I *definitly* could change the pining of devscripts but wonder if
there will be a newer version of devscripts-grml, what the best way
to handle this problem or if I am doing something wrong escpescially
because I newer knowingly used devscripts-grml and also was not able
to find the sources in the git-repository to check for updates.

Do you need to know more infos? Please let me know!

Greetings,
 - Darsha

P.s. I have not tried grml-1.1-rc yet to see how it's handled in
there...