[Grml] Setting up grub into lvm and a suggestion

Maurice McCarthy moss at mythic-beasts.com
Fri Jun 6 11:00:51 CEST 2008

First of all I believe that lilo was being loaded
as default because lvm did not work properly in
grub. I do not know if this has been corrected.

Secondly, since you already have grub installed
then enter "grub" followed by

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

which should give you an answer like (hd0,5) or
whatever. grml2hd usually places grub in the
partition as if it ran

grub>setup (hd0,5)

This would leave you with a system booting windows
only from the hard disk. Microsoft have altered
the master boot record with most every upgrade
their operating system. But ntldr is very stupid
and this allows an easy answer to chainload grub
from ntldr. Quit grub. With ntfsmount an ordinary
user should be able to write to the ntfs partition

zsh% ntfsmount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
zsh% dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/mnt/hda1/grml.mbr bs=512 count=1

The last command must written exactly. It copies
the bootsector of (hd0,5) into the windows
partition at C:\

Now boot windows as administrator.
Make C:\boot.ini writeable
Open boot.ini in notepad or whatever
and add this line at the bottom:

C:\grml.mbr="grml 1.1"

ntldr loads anything which you point it at. Check
that the timeout line is set at 30 seconds or so
at the top of boot.ini   Next time you boot you
should the option of grml.

Lastly, someone here was effusive about the merits
of grub4dos (and ntfs windows) but I've never used
it.

Good Luck
Moss