[Grml] knoppix-like bootfrom in gmrl?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Jul 14 08:25:41 CEST 2008

* Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx at gmail.com> [20080714 06:14]:

>  I was looking for a Unicode/utf-8 based LiveCD and apparently gmrl
> looks like it
> ~
>  The thing is that knoppix does not offer Unicode support and I was
> getting weird results while coding for Unicode data
> ~
>  I use knoppix a lot and got used to most of its ways to do things
> ~
>  So, where is the old good bootfrom=/dev/<your device>/knoppix.iso ;-)

Some bootoptions (like bootfrom) do not behave as with previous
releases of grml due to the new underlying infrastructure - being
live-initramfs.

I've updated http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue205 now to make sure we
don't forget this issue. The main reason why it wasn't fixed yet is
that live-initramfs was supposed to be cleaned/freshed up and I
didn't want to invest development in stuff that has to be adjusted
once more later on. Hopefully this cleanup will happen within the
next few weeks, I'll talk to the maintainer once more.

>  Based on my personal expirience CDs and CD-ROM drives are heavily
> taxed by LiveCDs and start failing with cloop I/O errors pretty
> quickly, that is why I always go for the bootfrom cheatcode, keep a
> small partition just for the ISO and use lots of RAM

I personally love booting from USB pens. :)

thanks for reporting,