[Grml] new member intro and questions.

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat May 26 11:36:47 CEST 2007

* Allison Mervis <allisonfm at gmail.com> [20070526 04:15]:

> My name is Allison, and I am totally blind. I understand that grml includes
> some degree of screen reader support, but here is what I need to be able to
> do.

Welcome, Allison.

> Right now, I'm using an Acer Laptop running Windows XP home SP2. I would
> like to burn an image of GRML to a CD, insert it into my drive, restart the
> computer, and have it boot up talking in Linux. I would like to later
> restart the computer, and have it boot back up in windows. I don't own a
> hardware synthesizer, and I've been led to understand that this limits my
> options somewhat. Is the scenario I've just descried even possible? Thanks!

As Maurice wrote: because grml is a live-cd you don't have to
install anything to be able to use it. Just remove the CD again
after you finished your work with grml.

If you don't own a hardware synthesizer you might want to use
software speakup. Just boot grml with "grml swspeak" and as soon as
booting finished (you should hear an informational sound then) type
"swspeak" in the commandline. Then the computer should start talking
to you. :)