[Grml] Re: Suspend resume bugs

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed May 23 10:17:34 CEST 2007

* Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20070523 01:15]:

> > It's an excellent example of a kernel regression. Stop complaining
> > and "git bisect" if you are really interested in seeing it fixed.

> If discussing bugs is complaining then I give up...Calling for grml
> testers seems more logical.

You don't get it.

> Nothing yet has been shown; there is just a waterfall of assumptions,
> user-bad -> hardware-bad -> kernel-bad.  The missing concourse is
> grml-bad.  Do you want users and testers, or just developers?

> Generally grml is very high quality and bug reports can only make it
> better.  Stop complaining about them!  :-)

Once again:

CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is used at grml's kernel since ages, nothing new
- no surprises, just what you used so far as well.
And it worked for you in the same configuration until 2.6.20.
2.6.20 causes problems with an external usbdisk on your system.
-> It's a regression inside the kernel.

Deactivating an important kernel option because it causes problems
on one out of several hundreds/thousands boxes is not a real option.
Especially as it's a regression and not because of a new and never
tested driver/feature.

I offered you a ready-to-go kernel package you just have to install
and run it once. If it works we know it was a regression which has
been fixed already. If it still does not work we have to bisect the
problem and inform upstream about it.

If you don't want to contribute but prefer complaining feel free to
do so, but then let me feel free to ignore you.