[Grml] Re: Please test 1.0rc2 usb

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Sat May 19 00:12:28 CEST 2007

OK.  Generally I feel like this person:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/85488/comments/39
via
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/85488

I'm worried that we're looking at a driver issue, meaning, the bug
infects all kinds of hardware, not just scanners and disks.  If a device
driver doesn't handle USB kernel suspend calls, then it breaks.  That
means a kernel upgrade alone won't solve the problem(s) but only
upgrades to all affected drivers.  (In our case the USB controller isn't
even detected.)

So grml 1.0 is taking a high-risk move for rather low yield.  It would
have been better to push laptop goodies out to 2.6.21 and keep
known-good functionality for "everything else."

I have to go now; I hope people will test USB hardware with 1.0 and/or
that kernel upgrade you've posted.

Thanks.
M.