[Grml] The bootfrom=xxx.iso doesn't work

Tong Sun mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 20:57:42 CEST 2007

Package: grml
Version: 0.9-stable2
Severity: important

Hi,

I found that the bootfrom=xxx.iso cheatcode does not work as expected.

I notice the following grub boot menu,

title           GRML 0.9 from .ISO on sda2
  root          (hd0,2)
  kernel  /boot.grml/isolinux/linux26 welcome noeject noprompt
ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce
bootfrom=/dev/sda2/Grml/grml_0.9.iso
  initrd  /boot.grml/isolinux/minirt26.gz
  savedefault
  boot

only works as long as my USB key was plugged in. If not, it won't work.

Having Looked into the issue, I realized that,

grml search for grml image in all patitions first before doing the bootfrom=
cheatcode. When my USB key is plugged in, it can continue on, mounting the .iso
as root the second time, though it report missing /lib/.../modeprobe.dep
beforehand.

When my USB key is not plugged in, i.e., the image scan doesn't find anything,
grml will panic before doing the bootfrom=xxx.iso.

Test environment: grml 0.9

-- System Information: Debian Release: 4.0 Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /UNIONFS/bin/bash Kernel: Linux 2.6.18-grml
Locale: LANG=en_US.iso885915, LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso885915
(charmap=ISO-8859-15)

Versions of packages grml depends on: ii grml-autoconfig 0.6-8 main
bootup process of a grml syst ii grml-docs 0.9-5 documentation for
grml (grml.org) ii grml-etc 0.9-4 ecetera files for the grml system ii
grml-files 0.9-1 some misc files for grml ii grml-hwinfo 0.3-2 collect
hardware information ii grml-scripts 0.9.5 some small scripts which
should ma ii grml-tips 0.3-14 search for tips and hints via a ke

grml recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information