[Grml] Re: booting from external disk

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Mar 23 12:56:47 CET 2007

* August C. Quint <augustq at gmx.net> [20070322 16:11]:

> >> Maybe using Grub instead is worth a try.
> I think we should first try to solve problem #2.

Yeah for sure, just answered your question. ;)

> >> Sorry no idea yet. Can you please provide me a screenshot of the
> >> booting process where it hangs?

> Sorry, I don't know how to make a screenshot in this stage of booting. And I
> don't have a digital camera (yet). So I try to write down the lines visible:
> the last lines before the problem happesn are related to raidx, so here it
> goes:
>     Success: loaded module raid456
>     Success: loaded module raid5
>     Success: loaded module raid6
>     Modprobe: FATAL: Module raid10 not found
>     Done.
>     Begin: Assemblying all MD arrays ...

> Now I get 6x the lines:
>     usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device running ehci_hcd and address 2
> followed by
>     sd: 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00050000

> And this will continue.

Ok, so if you press return then you don't see a busybox shell or
something like that?

> It looks like it accessed the disk successfully but it tries to access the
> single disk as a raid-disk in this stage (but I'm no expert here).

No, shouldn't be the case because if there aren't any MD arrarys
present, mdadm will not touch anything.

> What can I do? Which information do you need?

Please make sure that you are trying to boot the correct system.
So boot your system but append root=/dev/sdb1 to the end of the
'grml' entry in lilo (yes, this works interactive - no reason to
adjust /etc/lilo.conf) this time if your grml system resides on
first partition of the device. What are you getting then? Any
changes when using root=/dev/sda1?

> >> Oh, and you might want to try to use root=UUID=... instead of
> >> root=/dev/sd[a-z]... so you can make sure your system uses the
> >> correct device for booting.

> where do I have to put these modifications (I'm no expert here) ?
> I guess: I can use Knoppix to boot the machine and look for the file lio.conf
> (or so) on this external harddisk. Right?

Knoppix?!

http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2006/08/11/stable-root-device-aka-uuid/