[Grml] chroot again

Paul Weaver iso at isorox.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 09:02:42 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:28:50PM -0400, martin yazdzik wrote:
> Dear M and friends,
>
> Just for information, and please realise I am not complaining:
> root at grmllap1 ~ # chroot /mnt/sda4
> root at grmllap1 / # apt-get update
> Err http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid Release.gpg
>   Could not resolve 'www.debian-multimedia.org'
> Err http://ftp.de.debian.org stable Release.gpg
>   Could not resolve 'ftp.de.debian.org'
>
> Note that, when my experimental partition(/mnt/sda4) is plain old
> debian, I do the same thing and can do all package management or
> upgrades, install drives, and so on, from my working workhorse grml
> install, but, as now, when the /mnt/sda4 is a grml install, something
> stops me from using my internet connexion to fetch things.  I think it
> may be a bind issue, or not?

Check /mnt/sda4/etc/resolv.conf -- it should have a nameserver entry the same as
your /etc/resolv.conf file.

E.G. On my creaky laptop I have
cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.18.1

Which works, and
cat /mnt/suse/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 10.0.0.2

Which doesn't work after chroot to /mnt/suse

changing /mnt/suse/etc/resolv.conf to
nameserver 192.168.18.1

Means that ping does work