[Grml] grml2hd: initrd.img not found

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Mar 6 18:47:52 CET 2007

(Sorry for the delay, chemnitzer linuxdays took my full attention...)

* Hubert Gabler <loipersb at aon.at> [20070302 20:15]:

> I installed grml 0.9 on a free partition and copied the essential lines
> from grml /boot/grub/menu.lst to my standard menu.lst. It reads now:

> title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-486
> root		(hd0,2)
> kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-486 root=/dev/sda3 vga=792 ro
> initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-486
[...]

Create an initrd if you need it via running:

# update-initramfs -c -t -k $(uname -r)

Adjust your /boot/grub/menu.lst according to your needs and run
'update-grub' then (if you want to :)).

> Booting grml does not work because the system cannot find
> initrd.img-2.6.18-grml. In fact it does not exist in grml's boot file.
> Where does it hide ??

The initrd is not shipped by default with grml 0.9.

But very probably you even do not need an initrd on your system at
all, so just remove the initrd lines in your menu.lst and try
booting then (can be done interactive in grub as well to test it).